Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sy-Skora


If Petr Sykora hits 50 2-goal games in his career without notching a hat trick he might earn the nickname 'Mr. Lightning Strikes Twice'. But after his 42nd game tonight, where he lit the lamp twice in Carolina, I'm sure he doesn't want that to happen. And I'm positive Pens fans don't either. I was really pulling for him after he got his second. Malkin knew the situation too because the rest of the game he did all he could to set up 'Petr Gun' (as Errey and Steigerwald love to call him). But alas it was not to be. Part of me felt disappointed for Petr but another part actually was happy it didn't happen in Carolina. Wouldn't it be great for Sykora to get his first in the black Pens sweater with penguin ball caps raining down from the Mellon Arena rafters and all of Steel Town cheering his name? That's what I'm hoping and I'm predicting that it happens this year. Petr Gun will get his first hat trick this year and it will happen in the Steel City. You heard it here first.


But Peter Sykora wasn't the only star of the game or even the number one star of the game. In fact I may have even put Sabu in front of Sykora if only by a little bit. It was Crosby who played out of his mind. He was everywhere the loose puck was tonight and then some. Crosby had four assists in the game and is on a torrid scoring pace with 14 points in his last 5 games. Sabourin faced 36 shots saving 34 of them. He now sits second in goals against average and fourth in save percentage.

On a side note it slightly irks me that Steigy and Errey are calling Sabourin Sabu as of lately. I've been using that nickname for awhile now (dating back to last year). At least my reason is cool. They're just playing off his name. I'm playing off his name while honoring one of my favorite old ECW wrestler's who's actual ring name was Sabu.
But that's another point. Back to Sykora and the Pens. Sykora now has 7 goals, 8 assists for 15 points this season tied for fourth on the team with Tyler Kennedy. Crosby is now two points back of Malkin in the scoring race with 39 points and five points ahead of third place Ovenchkin. The Pens finish up their road trip in Ottawa on Saturday. Game time is 2:00.


No comments: