Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years Later


I woke up this morning after having a great night sleep for once. I got ready for work and started my drive. Looking around I noticed what a bright sunny day it was. The scenario was familiar. Seven years ago today it was exactly the same. Seven years ago our country was changed in a way that it hadn't been changed for 60 years when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. Seven years ago our country was brought together in respect for everything American.





We were reminded of the importance of the love for our servicemen, police and firefighters. We were reminded of the privilege it is to hang the Stars and Stripes. Seven years ago we were viciously attacked and brought together in the same moment. It's a day I'll never forget nor do I want to.


I was 18 and had just enlisted in the Army. I called my recruiter immediately to request an earlier training date. I didn't want to be left behind if our country went to war. I was told that they couldn't move my dates up but that might change. Eventually I went to training and then to school. Before my first semester was even completed I got my call. We were invading Iraq. The landscape of our country was indeed changing. From then on we would be a nation to attack terrorism not defend against it.


Being American is about the belief in freedom and basic human rights. It's about the pursuit of dreams. It's about waking up everyday and not living in fear or in tyranny. Seven years ago we were reminded that we can not take our freedoms for granted. We responded by growing closer as a nation and proudly hanging our flags. We showed the rest of the world that we will not sit back and accept attacks from cowards. Now we are a stronger nation for it.



We can talk about unity and peace all we want. It's on days like today when we actually display it in our actions rather than our words. Today is a day of American Pride and American Unity. I consider it an honor to be able to call myself a soldier of a country where men and women rush to a scene like ground zero to help rather than run from it.


September 11, We Will Never Forget.

“Terrorism against our nation will not stand.”- George W. Bush - Remarks at Emma Booker Elementary School. Sarasota, Florida - delivered 11 September 2001, 9:30 A.M. EDT

No comments: